Friday, October 3, 2008

Waves


I listened to a lecture about where waves come from last night. It was pretty dull quite frankly. I liked the first bit where the lecturer said, "here's an introduction for stupid people about waves" but then it all got a bit technical. Anyway. I think I'm wedded to the idea of making a sonic piece which depicts the build up and destruction of a wave (on a central ocean to coast) level. Starting with a simple melody, then layering and layering until it sounds like in this order:

Ambient
Lounge jazz
Speed garage
My Bloody Valentine
And back

It might be a tough one to lyricise but I hope (and I don't want to influence the prospective lyricist), that the story arc of the words could cover the complexity of human life from birth, the bit in between, and death. For individuals, the song could be about oceanographers, but unlike some of the heroes on our last album I haven't found an oceanographer yet, who has, dare I say it, an interesting life. Am I becoming jaded? No, I've just got a cold and have drunk some wine. Anyway, hopefully I'll get better tomorrow night so I can go out with some of the other IMLers and start planning our Science Festival gig. Happy days.

1 comment:

Bob Rocket said...

With that musical range in your wave it will be a tsunami! A lot of nice parallels to be drawn on with waves as well of course, sound, gestures, mexicans. Great idea B.