Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Saturday night = IML

Hello everyone...new guy here.

I don't know who Nick and Dicky are, but I've got their track, and I love it. I recorded 90% of my vocals last night, and they sound fantastic...Nick and Dicky, you will be pleased. I took a rather unoriginal path and made it into a love song from Blackbeard to his teenage wife Mary Ormond, but hey, it was a pretty song, and I decided to make it prettier.

Also, I think I'm probably in the running for most vocal tracks: I have 18.

I've tried to reference several of my favorite Blackbeard factoids in the lyrics. Apparently Blackbeard used to...um...light fires in his beard, to scare people. My favorite story though, popped up on several websites:

Having had too much to drink, he said to his crew, "Come, let us make a hell of our own, and try how long we can bear it." Going into the ship's hold, they closed the hatches, filled several pots with brimstone and set it on fire. Soon the men were coughing and gasping for air from the sulphurous fumes. All except Blackbeard scrambled out for fresh air. When Blackbeard emerged, he snarled, "Damn ye, ye yellow-bellied sapsuckers! I'm a better man than all ye milksops put together!"

Not only was Blackbeard apparently the life of a party, he was probably a big sweetheart too: he was big into threatening people, but there is no evidence of him actually killing anyone.

Anyways, this is fun! Can't wait to hear the other tracks!

Dan

4 comments:

Bob Rocket said...

Maybe Blackbeard had a cunning advantage - his beard acting as a sulphur filtration device. Either that or he planted an aqualung down there beforehand.

Tim Donderevo said...

What an incredible hell-raiser! Very excited to hear your vocals, in their manifold layers!

brownio said...

18! That's bloody marvellous, it must be an IML record. Welcome aboard me hearty. His computer game alter ego has certainly always had a burning beard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeChuck

L'Nique said...

A love song sounds the perfect choice, particularly directed to a teenage bride! Me and Dicky used a secret treasure (Rob) to give the song a soft, lapsteel heart, and we hoped 'prettiness' would prevail in the end. A pretty sea shanty. I really can't wait to hear it with its legion of vocals.

'Milksop' and 'sapsucker' are all too infrequently used in violent confrontations these days. I almost feel obliged to scuttle down to my local Wetherspoons and start blithely hurling these invectives at the locals. I don't have a beard though unfortunately, and I don't think those boozy ruffians would be all that scared if I set fire to the fine hair of my ear lobes.

Have you heard about this recent spate of pirate attacks out there in the real world? Pirating is the in-thing at the minute. Everyone's doing it.

Nick