Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Oh Jeannie

Sure has been busy in here. Sounds like the album is (ship)shaping up into something special already. From the feel of the backing tracks there appears to be more of a sonic consistency this time around. Good theme Cap'n Bob. I finished writing my track 2 days after receiving it from Barn - very different to last time around when it took a whole month of editing lyrics and melody. I wonder if others found it different this time around?

My track is on Jeanne Bare, the first woman to sail around the world (while dressed as a man). By that I don't mean the first woman to sail around the world dressed as a man (although she was), but the first woman to sail around the world, and she also happened to be disguised as a man. By that I mean.... . Oh well, the lyrics flowed easier than the blog.

The track is called Oh Jeannie. I thought the other day that this had a pang of familiarity and so typed it into google. No song of this name there. Phew. Then I typed it into Youtube (which I'm reliably informed is now bigger than the web itself) and there it was... a clip entitled Oh Jeannie by some band called U2.

No!!!!!!!!!!!

I played the clip, nervously expecting confirmation that I had simply re-written a famous song (c'mon, we've all done it) and had simply confused subconscious memory with musical originality (again). Anyway, turns out this U2 band are shit. The clip consisted of a ponytailed twat on an aeroplane (called Boner I think - the twat, not the aeroplane) improvising a crap blues about a flight attendant called Jeannie who had just served him some eggs. The grainy footage kept panning to his friend (called 'The Hedge'!) who was constantly giggling. Knobs, but I doubt we'll be hearing from them again.

1 comment:

Tim Donderevo said...

Over here in America, people are very fond of the band U2. I think this is partly because most Americans are very confused, but also because U2 are Irish, which over here, is something like being a demi-god.

I searched for "Oh Jeannie" too - and only found the Elton John song 'Oh Little Jeannie' - maybe that's what Bono was singing? An American told me that it's definitely not a U2 song! Go for it - its a good title.